(Exercise…) “How do I love thee? Let me count the ways”
It’s summer time!! Here in Alaska, the weather is FINALLY starting to warm up enough to go for daily walks & other outdoor adventures, so that makes my sunshine-loving-heart VERY happy.
Exercise + sunshine is a fantastic combination for those who have had a little stress overload with the life changing effects of this covid-19 pandemic. So for the sake of all healthy things, go outside & get moving!
The great thing about exercise is that there is an option for everyone & in turn there are benefits for everyone! Just a few of those benefits include:
- Toddlers: Improved bone health, healthy growth, improved brain development, & healthy habits formed
- Teens: Increased cognitive function & focus, improved bone health, & healthy weight maintenance
- Pregnant women: decreased risk of excessive weight gain, gestational diabetes, and postpartum depression, and an increased likelihood of a successful pregnancy
- All adults: improved quality of life, decreased risk of certain cancers, decreased risk of chronic diseases such as diabetes, heart disease, and obesity.
- Adults with chronic diseases: Improved management of chronic diseases= improved quality of life
- Elderly: decreased risk of injuries due to falls, improved quality of life
Wow, what a list! The other amazing thing, is that exercise doesn’t have to look the same for everyone. Maybe you want to spend more time with family so family hikes, swimming, and running around the yard is your exercise. Thats awesome! Maybe you want to train for a race so you are working on some very detailed endurance & strength training. Fantastic! Or maybe you want to just feel the benefits of movement and enjoy your surroundings, so you spend your time on outdoor walks and yoga on the porch. Nameste my friend!
Whatever your movement of choice is, try to make it a regular one. How many days can you get your family up and moving this next week? What movement adventures will you go on? How long will you dedicate to your health each of those days?
So my challenge for you….
2. Decide which activities you will do next week.
3. Take lots of pics each time you are enjoying the benefits of exercise with your family!
Have fun my friends. Every day can be your healthy beginning. Take advantage of the summertime to make some healthy moves with your family.